Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: That Summer by Sarah Dessen


(Click image for goodreads page)
Title: That Summer
Author: Sarah Dessen
Started: 1/2/12
Finished: 6/2/12
Publisher: Speak
Medium: Paperback
Genre: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon / The Book Depository / Barnes & Noble
Goodreads Synopsis:
The more things change...

For fiteen-year-old Haven, there's just too much going on. First, there's her father's wedding to Lorna Queen, the local television "Weather Pet." Then her sister Ashley's wedding to boring Lewis Warsher, who doesn't seem to suit Ashley at all. And Haven can't ignore the fact that she's nearly six feet tall and still growing. Haven can barely figure out who she is anymore or where she fits in. Then Ashley's old boyfriend, Sumner Lee, shows up and sparks Haven's memories of the summer when her parents were happy, her sister was plucky and carefree, and everything was perfect...or so it seemed.





To be completely frank. I expected so much from this book only to be disappointed. I expected a book with more depth and a better plot. Okay, so there wasn't much of a plot. I've read other books that were equally plotless but this one I didn't like much at all. It lacked everything I wanted in a contemporary, young adult book. And seriously. I just feel bad about it. After the 100th page I started feeling like the story, or an inkling of it was going down hill from there.

This book is pretty much written for way younger readers below 14 years of age. And I'm hoping whoever read this below that age group were able to understand whatever morale Dessen has written it to give out.

That Summer is Sarah Dessen's debut novel and I'm pretty sure she has gotten better over the years. Since everyone loves her books. I'm going to go ahead and pick up her latest book and have at it. In hopes that her books have more depth and a lot more fluff!


Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. Too bad you didn't like this one Naj :( .. I've only read one book by Sarah Dessen and it was This Lullaby. I have to admit that I didn't like it at all : it was plotless and the characters had no depth, just like this book apparently !!
    Thanks for the review my dear :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.