Sunday, November 20, 2011

Review: The Wedding Gift by Kathleen McKenna

Title: The Wedding Gift
Author: Kathleen McKenna
Started: 13/11/11
Finished: 20/11/11
Medium: Paperback (from author)
Goodreads

Goodreads Synopsis: 

17 year old Leeann Worthier is the perfect girl in town - or so she says.

George Willets is the heir to a booming petroleum business.

When they announce their engagement, George's controlling mother is unimpressed and Leeann absolutely refuses to live with her mother-in-law. So George gives his new wife a house as a wedding gift.

Thirty years before, the same house had hosted a grisly scene: George's uncle and cousins had all been slaughtered, his aunt Robina accused of both murder and suicide.

The house is a gorgeous, well-maintained mansion but has stood empty since the tragedy. It's intimidating, but who is Leeann to turn down a free house? When the ghost of Robina begins to haunt Leeann, she realizes she's made a huge mistake ...

"A rip roaring murderously good time," Tiffany Harkleroad of Tiffany's Bookshelf.



Most readers would say they hated this book because of how it's being narrated by a "redneck hillbilly Sookie Stackhouse" and for them to say such a thing about a book and its character is ridiculous. I'm open-minded enough to present to you The Wedding Gift. It was narrated by a 17-year-old Corn Princess Leanne Worthier from Dalton, Oklahoma who may be a little "loose" and got herself pregnant and married into a rich family at a young age. She was given a house as a wedding gift from her in-law's and she wasn't too happy about it because of the fact that an entire family was murdered in it including the "murderer" who killed herself after doing the big K.O. on her own family.

I admire Ms. Kathleen for writing such a "character" like Leanne into such a scary and thrilling plot. I didn't mind how Leanne was and how she talked and acted. I'm pretty open-minded to see a book for its plot and how it's written. I enjoyed the book. It had stern characters which all played a part in the story and my favorite would be Jessie, who is Leanne's best friend. I loved how strong-willed and outspoken she was. Usually, the main characters would be the one to hold these characteristics and I'm happy this is something new out there.

The beginning of the book was a little dragging but began to instantly pick-up when the ghost stories rolled in. It was completely chilling and gory. The ending was amazing and how Leanne found out what really happened in that house at the time of the murders and what to do about it. A real mysterious story that I loved till the end.

Kathleen, managed to write and describe each gruesome scene that will send chills down your spine. Her writing was wonderfully executed and her characters made me laugh, cry and scared the living day-lights out of me. I am glad to have received a review copy from the author herself and I appreciate her patience while I read and reviewed this book.

This book is not for young readers.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.